2.17.2009

A Soundtrack for the Daily Drive

My roommate Jess is the one who started this, I think. But basically, in my iTunes I'll compile mixes based on the month and  year - no specific order, no specific theme, just an aural journal entry to what I'm listening to at the moment. It's cool to go back to a certain month because so much of what I listen to becomes evocative of the time when I listened to it. 

For example, in March 2008 I was listening to all the various versions of Grizzly Bear's "Knife" because I was learning it on the guitar at the time. In July I was listening to Fleet Foxes' "Mykonos" and The Mamas and the Papas' "California Dreamin'" because I was convinced I was going to somehow do a mashup of those two songs (despite having very little experience doing anything of the sort). November was a mellow month, due in part, I'm sure, to the onset of Winter (or the closest facsimile thereof here in LA). 

And so on.

So in case you were wondering, here's my February 2009 mix so far. It's a mix of new music, older music, and new-to-me music, and since I'm feeling a bit rowdy this month, the upbeat tempo reflects that fact:

"Kiss With A Fist" - Florence And The Machine
"Young Adult Friction" - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
"I'm Confused" - Handsome Furs
"The Rake's Song" - The Decemberists
"Silver Moon" - Blitzen Trapper
"The Sound" - Human Highway
"People Got a Lot of Nerve" - Neko Case
"Anonanimal" - Andrew Bird
"Everyday" - Vetiver
"My Girls" - Animal Collective
"Needle in the Camel's Eye" - Brian Eno
"Captain Pasty" - Black Francis
"Knotty Pine" - David Byrne & The Dirty Projectors 
"Sleepyhead" - Passion Pit

What are you listening to right now?

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.