8.24.2009

Weekend Recap: Don't Let This Fading Summer Pass You By


This weekend was one of those perfect late summer weekends wherein Sunday finds you exhausted but satisfied, tuckered out but completely refreshed. Friday began with a text from Brady midmorning that read: "Going to Dland, who's with me?"

Uh, ME. Yes. 

Were we in a classroom situation, I'd have been the kid near the front of the class, the kid who answers all the questions, the kid who can't keep her mouth shut, her hand shooting toward the ceiling before anybody else got the chance. PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME!

The park was fairly crowded but we fared better at California Adventure for the better part of the day. In the evening, a whole gaggle of us LB kids (and beyond, admittedly; when I say "Long Beach Kids" I really mean, "Long Beach and Uptown Whittier and [begrudgingly] La Habra Kids" and by "kids" I mean, "Ham, too.") (I think this means I need a new term.)

(Looks like I have my work cut out for me this week.)

Anyway, back to where I was going with that before getting knocked off the tracks entirely: A rather sizable group of us younguns' caravanned to downtown Long Beach for Buskerfest, a free music festival featuring all of its acts on street corners in the East Village Arts District. The night culminated with a show on the main stage by the Cold War Kids - Long Beach locals, and good gents all around. 'Twas a lovely time. I will not be going into detail, however, about how I read some dude the riot act for pushing in front of us at the show because I'm pretty sure I saw him at Holé Molé yesterday AND THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR OPENING MY BIG MOUTH. 

Sigh. Can't we all just be friends?

On Saturday we at the Obispo house hosted an end-of-summer BBQ on what was probably the most overcast and uncharacteristically grey day Long Beach has seen since June Gloom settled mournfully over the sky. I suppose we could call this Smoggest August? (Note to self: Stop trying to make fetch happen. It won't.)

Regardless of the gloomy weather, the troops were out in full force on Saturday and we had one of the biggest Beatniks we've had at our house EVER, since most of our more sizable Beatniks took place at the Babylon house. It was a delightful time and it ended with a few extra hands in the kitchen helping us clean, plus with midnight bagels and beers to cap off the night. 

It's the stuff Summers are made of: Good friends, music, BBQ's, Disneyland...and not to get all Fraulein Maria on all of you, but those are a few of my favorite things. 





















No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.